Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Holocaust museum...being mistaken for a Local...and substitute congregants!

I went to the holocaust museum yesterday or Yad Vashem, unfortunately I chose to go on the same day as some important Israeli army guy, I could tell by the fact that he had a very big entourage, people opening the door for him everywhere he went, as well as a photographer following him around...so all this meant that mere mortals such as myself were not allowed to take any photographs of the museum yesterday.


But it was a powerful and moving experience none the less, especially when I entered the hall of names (it is this big hall filled with black files which contain the names of all the Jews killed during WWII), this room is about three levels high...about six million names. It was a powerful and painful reminder of what humanity is capable of without the light of God in us guiding us, a reminder of the evil of prejudice!
I was sitting in a public park with olive trees everywhere, having my quiet time when a local came up to me asking me for directions in Hebrew, I told him that I don't understand...he then responded with, "Oh...you look like you live here.." (you see I didn't shave this morning).
I also went to the Bible lands archaeological museum, another very cool place (some find these museums very boring, I on the other hand can spend my whole day there). The photo you see is a very interesting artifact...it is from the kingdom of Sumer or Sumeria or you might know it as Mesopotamia. It is a small limestone figurine of a male worshippers. They were used in the temple by both male and female Sumerian citizens (dating back to about 2600-2300 B.C.E)...what did they use them for you ask.



They would put these figurines in the temple in their place, so that they could go and do their thing i.e. do the washing or plough the fields, do whatever...and these clay figurines would then be in church in their place representing them.
Now I can just imagine me arriving at church one Sunday only to find a church full of limestone figurines instead of people because they are all out shopping at Clearwater Mall. Imagine that...how would we take up the offering?
- Posted from my iPad

Location:יצחק קריב,Jerusalem,Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment